The Grand Valley Coop Blood Center is an unlikely coffee break stop.
But that is precisely when I like to stop in and get my juice and cookies.
It is located at 1036 Fuller Ave. NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
Of course, they like to take a little of my Type O blood before they give
out the cookies. I am one of those fortunate enough to live in a community
that has a generous and giving population. The Grand Valley Blood Center has
branches and donation centers all over Kent County and supplies 100% of the
regular blood to our hospitals from many West Michigan counties.
DID YOU KNOW???
- a new born baby has about 8 oz. or 1 cup of blood
- Every three seconds someone in our country needs blood
- Blood banks often run short of Type O and B blood
- Just one pint of blood can help up to 3 people
- 43,000 pints of donated blood are used each day in the US and Canada
- shortages of all types of blood occur most often during summer & winter holidays
- donating blood will not decrease your strength
They also do aspheresis, marrow, stem cells, and cord blood donations.
I have donated to the aspheresis patients numerous times when The Blood
Center calls with a desperate need for a donor. How can you resist when
they tell you a little 12 year old girl has leukemia and needs your platelets
This is one of those situations where you don't appreciate this gift until you
or your loved ones need it. Please consider giving the gift of life to someone
in need. It takes a few moments out of your day and you get a free coffee
I am working on my 9th gallon and I hate to admit how many cookies that is!!
DO YOUR GOOD DEED TODAY.
Copyright by Terry Westbrook 2007
Stack of Cookies photo courtesy of Flickr photostream by The Soka
Baby Evan photo by Terry Westbrook
The authors of the this blog write about Grand Rapids Real Estate,
the Greater Grand Rapids MI area, and what it is like to live in
West Michigan. We believe: Grand Rapids is a Great Place to Live!
Contact Terry 616-292-7263