We have a vacant listing. It is a nice listing, clean, neat, 4 bedroom two story
home that I showed last Saturday. It was a changed house when I showed it
again on Monday. We had record setting low temperatures here over last
weekend and the batteries failed in the thermostat.
Needless to say, I sprinted to the store, bought batteries, and got the furnace
going again. I also turned off the water to try and eliminate as much damage
as possible. When the house warmed up, sure enough, a water pipe broke
between the kitchen ceiling and the upstairs bathroom, according to the
So, the morale of the story is: If you have a vacant home listed,
change the batteries in that thermostat---don't take chances! Even a
weekend trip could put your home in danger!
This story has a fairly decent ending, we have 2 offers on the home
and the sellers insurance company will cover the majority of the repairs.
Grand Rapids Ada Real Estate ~ Westbrook Realty
Copyright 2009 All rights reserved
Photo courtesy of Creative Commons Flickr stream:
The authors of the this blog write about Grand Rapids Real Estate,
the Greater Grand Rapids MI area, and what it is like to live in
West Michigan. We believe: Grand Rapids is a Great Place to Live!
Contact Terry 616-292-7263